a movement promoting radical social change
Our Movement aims to promote radical social change by catalyzing the emergence of resilient societies. It is dedicated towards reclaiming, expanding and enriching the commons by producing a wide variety of free and open-source software that benefits the whole of humanity and the substrate we depend upon.
The movement's principal focus is to help transcend the current socioeconomic system that is rapidly debasing the planetary life support system, thus putting humanity on self-terminating trajectory. Specifically, building tools so communities are able to transcend their governance and economics.
Although the movement is still in its infancy stage, it is already engaged in developing the first project called Our Funding — which is an all-encompassing, distributed & global crowdfunding platform. The prototype is being built using HolochainHolochain is a DLT framework for writing fully distributed peer-to-peer applications. It is free and open-source software built by Metacurrency Project for data storage and integrity, and React NativeReact Native is a UI framework for writing native apps. It is free and open-source software built by Facebook for the user interface (UI).
Apart from that, there are a few other ones that are being incubated:
- Our Credit — an application to enable sovereign community currencies
- Our Data — a platform for distributed data storage, utilizing idle space
And others that are being ideated include:
- Our Rule — an application to enable effective governance
- Our Design — a platform to catalyze Commons-based Peer Production
- Our Coop — tools for next-gen purpose driven enterprises
- Our Store — a distributed store providing manufactured goods made by non-profit entities
- Our Tools — a tool-sharing platform for various types of needs
- Our BNB — a distributed room and apartment sharing platform
- Our Transport — a distributed ride sharing and freight transport platform
- Our Health — a collection of distributed tools for healthcare management
- Our Harvest — a platform for community food farming
- Our Tasks — a general-purpose collaboration platform
- Our Exchange — a distributed platform to facilitate exchange among community currencies
- Our Listings — a Craigslist-like global listings platform
- And variety of applications in the social media sphere
All projects made by Our Movement will be Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS)free as in speech and beer, and their source code will be licensed under an OSI-approved license.
Funding for the movement will come from a few platforms that generate economic activity as part of the sharing economy and gift economy. These platforms utilize ‘<1% Transaction Fee’ business modelthis is a temporary measure and the transaction fees will be dropped once the movement becomes sustainable through donations — fully embracing the gift economy, and are wholly owned by a non-profit organization called Our Foundation — which exists solely as a mechanism to institutionally support the movement. Those funds are then used to also develop other projects that do not have business models.
For updates we recommend you follow @ourmovement_org on Twitter.
This case study is a living document which means it is a work in progress, not completed yet and is being updated. CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 — unless otherwise noted.